- This event has passed.
Healthy Vision Month
May 1 at
Make Your Eye Health a Priority and Learn How to Protect Your Vision.
As part of Healthy Vision Month, here is a list that provides information about a number of steps all Americans can take to protect our eyes and vision:
- Get a comprehensive dilated eye exam.
- Know your family history, including any family history of eye problems.
- Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses help protect your eyes from ultraviolet (UV) rays. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can increase your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. When buying sunglasses, look for those that block out 99 to 100 percent of both UVA and UVB rays.
- Use protective eyewear. Protect your eyes when doing household chores or yardwork, playing sports, or working on the job. Wear safety glasses, goggles, shields, or eye guards made of polycarbonate. Talk with your eye care provider about the right kind of protective eyewear for your needs.
- Live a healthy lifestyle, including eating healthy foods; maintaining a healthy weight; managing chronic conditions, such as diabetes; and refraining from smoking.